Sunday, March 22, 2009

What Would You Ask For?

Our message this week at church asked the question, " If you could ask God for one thing, and you knew He would answer it, what would you ask for?" Just thinking of the question makes me as weak in the knees as the Cowardly Lion when he stood before the great and powerful Oz (Of course God would have much cooler special effects than Oz). This question was thought provoking, because the message was about the resurrection of Christ, and that if God could raise Christ from the grave, what isn't He capable of. I trust God to take care of the smaller areas of my life, and I believe that He does amazing miracles everyday in this world, but what would make him mindful enough to be concerned about what I "want." I petition God to work in situations and in my life daily, but what would I ask if I knew that God would "throw the switch" and my request would be answered instantaneously?
I'm reminded of the end of Bruce Almighty (Random Bruce clip below) when God (Morgan Freeman) asks Bruce to pray. He starts with the generic and very"Miss America" prayer of "please feed the children and establish world peace." Everybody wants those items to occur, but if I had one request of God that I was 100% sure would be answered, I think it would be that He reveal himself to the world in the same way he revealed himself to the Israelites during Moses' time. Atheist's couldn't stare head-long into a pillar of fire at night and say "God doesn't exist." Evolutionist's would probably bow out gracefully, admitting that "maybe they were wrong." Politicians would get a better understanding that what they do is insignificant if not guided by Him.
Yet, I don't think that God would reveal Himself again in a pillar of fire, not that He couldn't, but because that's not how He works. Instead He dwells within each of us, and reveals Himself to us and through us individually. That being said, my prayer should actually align itself more with Gandhi, who said: "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Therefore, if I could ask God for one thing, that He would definitely grant, it would be " God let other people see You through me."



No comments: